California Department of Motor Vehicle's (DMV) vision is to be a recognized leader in public service. Their mission is to provide quality licensing and motor vehicle-related services to the public.
The two primary functions offered are registering vehicles and licensing drivers. They also provide the following functions:
- Recording ownership (certificate of title). If the vehicles DMV registers
- Maintaining driving records (accidents and convictions) of licensed drivers
- Issuing identification cards
- Registering and recording ownership of vessels
- Licensing and regulating driving and traffic violator schools and their instructors
- Licensing and regulating vehicle manufacturers, transporters, dealers, distributors, vehicle salespeople, and dismantlers